Many children, teens, and young adults struggle with writing. The challenges individuals face with writing may stem from an executive function (EF) issue. NESCA’s executive function tutors are available to support students who have difficulty with the writing skills and assigments.
Executive Function Writing Tutoring
As a part of NESCA’s executive function coaching services, NESCA frequently supports students with their writing – particularly students who have executive function challenges and who may experience frustration or emotional dysregulation related to writing. Since the writing process relies so heavily on the use of almost all of the executive function subskills, it can be highly beneficial for these students to receive tutoring in writing through the lens and from the perspective of an executive function coach and tutor.
To be successful, a student needs to know:
- where to start (task initiation)
- how to sustain focus on long periods of time (focus and effort; impulse regulation)
- how to organize their writing ideas (planning and organization)
- how to prioritize these ideas based on the writing purpose and genre (mental flexibility)
- how to reflect back on the writing to review and revise (self-monitoring)
NESCA’s EF tutors have experience supporting writers from elementary school through college year-round – including summer – with their daily, project-based, or summer homework. NESCA’s tutors can also support high schoolers and young adults with college essay writing, among many other areas.